One of the most important churches of Nicosia is the Cathedral Church of St. Ioannis, where all Archbishops of Cyprus have received the Holy Sacrament since the 18th century. Panagia Chrysaliniotissa is the oldest Byzantine church in Nicosia and was built in 1450 by the empress Eleni Paleologou; it is noted for its vast collection of rare and ancient icons. Phaneromeni was built in 1872 next to an ancient Orthodox nunnery and is the largest church inside the Walls. Trypiotis Church was built in 1695 by Archbishop Germanos and is dedicated to the Archangel Michael. It is considered an important architectural example of the Franco – Byzantine Era.
One will also encounter the Catholic Church of the Holy Cross (1902) in Old Nicosia and the Anglican Church of St. Paul in the centre of the modern city. One may also visit the Monastery of Archangel Michael (close to Analyontas Village) that dates back to the Byzantine Era, the Monastery of St. Heraklidou, built near the tomb of the saint it is named after and finally Machairas Monastery, that dates from the First Iconoclastic Period (730 – 843 A.D) and was founded in 1148
At the centre of Old Nicosia lays Missirikos Church, a Medieval Christian Orthodox built in 1500 with byzantine gothic and Italian Renaissance architectural elements. It was converted into the Araplar Mosque in 1572. The Omerie Mosque was originally an Augustinian church run by monks and was dedicated to the Holy Mary. It was built in the 14th century and was converted into a mosque by Mustafa Pasa in 1571. Next to this are the The Omerie Baths that were built during the 16th century as a gift to the city of Nicosia by Lala Moustafa Pasa.
Next to the Constanza Bastion is the Bayraktari Mosque, where a Turkish soldier laid to rest the remains of Ottomans that fell during the city’s siege in 1571.