Explore more about Nicosia City Card and its advantages in the capital city of Cyprus.
Things to Do
The brightest capital of Europe
The Walls of Nicosia
The Walls of Nicosia were built by the Venetians in the 16th century replacing the old walls in order to defend the city against the Ottoman Turks. Until today, the Venetian walls are the most well–preserved construction in the city, although their sequence has been interrupted by openings which were done by the British to facilitate traffic in and out of the walls. The original three gates of the walls still survive – Famagusta (Eastern Gate), Pafos (Western Gate) and Kyrenia (Northern Gate).
Τhe Cyprus Museum (Archeological)
Τhe Cyprus Museum (Archeological) is the largest museum in Cyprus. Here, one may observe the evolution of Cypriot civilization from the Neolithic period until the early Byzantine period (7th century AD). Among its exhibits, one can admire the statue of Aphrodite of Soloi and the supernatural statue of the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus.
The Leventis Municipal Museum
The Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia was established in 1984 by the Nicosia Municipality and the Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation. In 1991 the museum won the award of European Museum of the Year. The permanent exhibition spaces are home to exhibits which take the visitor on a journey through the history of Nicosia from antiquity to present day. The museum also offers organized educational programs and tours.
Τhe Museums of the Pancyprian Gymnasium
Τhe Museums of the Pancyprian Gymnasium are being housed in the historical centre of Nicosia. The museums of the Pancyprian Gymnasium comprise of: the Archaeological and the Numismatic collection, the collection of Old Maps and all Old Weaponry most of which have a Cypriot character. There is also an art gallery with works of great Cypriot painters and a Museum for Natural History.
Phaneromeni Church was built in 1872 next to an ancient Orthodox nunnery and is the largest church within the walls. The marble mausoleum located east of the church contains the remains of bishops and other clerics executed by the Ottomans in 1821 in reprisals for the beginning of the Greek War of Independence.
Agios Ioannis Cathedral Church
Agios Ioannis Cathedral Church was renovated in 1662 by Archbishop Nikiforos. The recently restored 18th century frescoes painted during the era of Archbishop Silvestros recreates scenes from the Holy Bible and the discovery of Apostle Varnavas’ tomb in Salamina.
There are two routes one can follow: 1. Nicosia and its walls and 2. Pallouriotissa, Kaimakli – The latter restored outside the Venetian walls. These walks are offered by the >Nicosia Municipality free of charge and are led by tourist guides. They begin and end at the information office of the Deputy Ministry of Tourism in Laiki Geitonia, 11 Aristokyprou Street (east of Eleftheria Square), Tel: 22674264.